|Polonnaruwa Rest House
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||LankaLibrary [ Sat May 06, 2006 4:15 pm ]|
|Post subject:||Polonnaruwa Rest House|
A base to visit the Cultural Triangle:
Polonnaruwa Rest House
@CDN / 06MAY2006
POLONNARUWA: Built in 1870 as a circuit bungalow for British Government Agents, it was taken over by the Ceylon Tourist Bureau in 1954 and named Polonnaruwa Rest House.
The Ceylon Hotels Corporation (CHC) took over the rest house in 1968, after which there has been a marked improvement in the services offered to tourists.
The rest house now has 10 star class guest rooms including the 'Queen's Room' built in 1954 to mark Queen Elizabeth's visit to Sri Lanka. In 1954 a tastefully designed restaurant, overlooking the Parakrama Samudra, was built to offer guests a panoramic view of the blue waters of the Samudra.
The rest house now has two restaurants which could accommodate over 150 guests. All guest rooms have been refurbished with beautiful interior decor. These restaurants offer guests a wide variety of mount-watering food, Western, Eastern and Sri Lankan cuisine prepared by the hotel's chef and his team of experienced cooks. The spicy Sri Lankan food, prepared with a typical 'home made' touch is a big hit especially for foreign tourists.
Polonnaruwa Rest House is popular with foreign tourists and Sri Lankans as a base to visit a host of tourist attractions in the Cultural Triangle. The main attraction is the Parakrama Samudra which overlooks the rest house.
The rest house organises safaris to Minneriya and Wasgamuwa National Parks and cycle safaris to Polonnaruwa ancient ruins.
The museum adjoining the rest house and the Nissanka Latha Mandapaya - Nissanka Council Chamber - with ruins of King Nissankamalla's palace, are also tourist attractions at Polonnaruwa Rest House.
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC + 5:30 hours|
|Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group|