Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Politics & Ethnic Conflict » Military Operations & Heroes of our time

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Eelam War IV - Northern Theater - Progress Report - Part 3
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:58 am 
Eelam War IV - Northern Theater - Progress Report - Part 3

READ ALSO || PART 1 || PART 2 || PART 4 ||


Many of the front runners of the LTTE have already given their lives in the battlefront while some have died of natural causes. The LTTE had lost its Theoretician Anton Balasingham, Political Wing Leader S.P. Thamilselvan and more recently the Overall Operations Commander Balraj. Their military leaders killed in battles are innumerable.

@ LL / Agencies / Saturday, 19 July 2008

The fall of Vidattalthivu was a significant mark of the downfall of the LTTE in its two and half decades long existence. What is most significant is that with the capture of Vidattalthivu the Security Forces have started their march along the A-32 road connecting Mannar and Pooneryn. The troops attached to the 58 Division are now poised to capture Illuppakadavai, the next Sea Tiger base located north of Vidattalthivu.


It will be a stepping stone for the troops to capture the Vellankulam town on the northern edge of Mannar district along the A-32 road enabling the troops to capture the entire Mannar district in the next step.

In the mean time, Troops attached to 57 Division under the command of Major General Jagath Dias reaching the centre of Wanni on the Western flank. Troops have advanced 40 kilometres into Tiger territory, operating just four kilometres south of Thunukkai, the second biggest administrative centre of the LTTE in the Wanni. The Security Forces are poised to capture this strategically important township which has now been encircled by a massive defence line to defend both Thunukkai and Mallawi towns. The capture of Thunukkai will also keep the Security Forces on a more advantageous position as they can take Kilinochchi the heart of the LTTE under the range of their artillery guns.

Once troops attached to the 57 Division advance into these strategically important locations and reach further north Task Force -II operating parallel to the A-9 road can advance in the north-east direction launching a major thrust on the LTTE with the 57 Division widening the front against the LTTE.

The Weli Oya front too can contribute to bring the ongoing war to a turning point as they too are operating just four kilometres South of Kumulamunai the area from which the Security Forces can take the Mullaitivu stronghold of the LTTE under their artillery range.

Troops of the 59 Division are now fully on the offensive north of Janakapura. The recent capture of 'Michael' base, which acted as a logistics and forward operations centre would hasten the collapse of the 1-4 base complex in the Mullativu theatre of operations. 1-4 base complex is a vast network of terror bases (initially numbering 14 but now have expanded up to 20 bases).

The existence of mines and IED, make the progress very slow, however the tigers are unable to use 'force multiplier' weapons such as artillery and MBRL's on this front due to the heavy canopy.

Many of the front runners of the LTTE have already given their lives in the battlefront and many have retreated from the battlefront while some have died of natural causes.

The LTTE had lost many of their leaders including its Theoretician Anton Balasingham, Political Wing Leader S.P. Thamilselvan and more recently the Overall Operations Commander Balraj.

Their military leaders killed in battles are innumerable. Only the death notices on the walls of Tiger bunkers captured by the Security Forces can give an idea about the number of Tiger leaders killed on the battlefront since many in the South are not willing to accept the figures confirmed by the Security Forces through intercepted radio transmissions of the LTTE.

:arrow: Daring raid of Vedithalthivu Sea Tiger camp by Second commando regiment
:arrow: Largest Sea Tiger base in west coast taken by Army
:arrow: The Path to Vidattalthivu


 Post subject: Illupakadavai captured
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:46 pm 
Illupakadavai captured
Task Force 1 and Commando brigade in action

Sunday, July 20, 2008
The army troops seized the Tiger base in the village of Illupakadavai in the northern Mannar district early Sunday, said Brig. Udaya Nanayakkara, the military spokesman. He said soldiers killed 15 rebels during a 48-hour battle to capture the base and one soldier was wounded by a rebel mortar attack. According to defence sources troops of Task Force 1 and Commando brigade encircled the remote town situated 12 km North of Vidattaltivu by last night and entered the town Sunday morning.

It was on July 17 troops attached to the 58 Division, having advanced on the A-32 road after capturing Vidathalthivu, prepared for the final assault on the Illuppaikkadavai town which is comparatively a well built-up township on the North Western coast. The troops attached to the 10th Gajaba Regiment under the Command of Lt. Colonel Sarada Samarakoon were deployed in the East and West of A-32 road.

Alpha and Delta companies under the Officer Command of Captain Chinthaka de Silva and Captain Aruna Kumara deployed their troops on the East of A-32 road whilst Bravo Company and the Charlie Company under the officer command of Probation Officer Rukman Weerawardena and Lieutenant Ratwatte deployed their troops on the west of A-32 road.

On July 18, the Bravo Company which was advancing from the West of A-32 road confronted with a group of Tiger cadres in the South of Illuppakadavai as the LTTE was expecting the troops from the South.

During that confrontation private Premadasa sacrificed his life and 16 others sustained injuries. The resistance of the LTTE came as they were preparing to withdraw further North of Illuppakkadavai in face of the troop advance.

On July 18 Alpha and Delta Companies deployed east of A-32 road were moving further North of Illuppakadavai to cut off the road from the North. They cut off the A-32 road from the North of Illuppakadavai on July 19 to fully secure the area whilst engaging Tiger cadres with mortar and artillery.

It was on July 20 that troops fully secured Illuppakkadavai town flushing out all the Tiger cadres there towards the North. The two Commando Regiments and the all the battalions under the command of the 58 Division contributed for this victory.


Separate gunbattles elsewhere in the region Saturday left 16 tigers and a soldier dead, Nanayakkara said. Soldiers killed 11 tigers in Vavuniya while five tigers died in the nearby Mannar district, he said. Separately, a soldier was killed by a sniper's bullet in Mannar, he said.

Monday, July 21, 2008
The military said 42 rebels died in fighting on Sunday, while 10 of its soldiers were injured. Army Commandos in pursuit of the withdrawing tigers along the Mannar- Pooneryn (A-32) road attacked a group of LTTE detected in the Murunkalyadippudi area 3 Km North of Iluppaikkaddavai. The Commandos confirmed that 13 terrorists were killed in this confrontation while many others suffered injuries. Also, they seized an anti air machine gun of 12.7mm caliber, a T-81 rifle and one radio communication set.


Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Government rejects LTTE ceasefire for SAARC summit
Tamil Nadu police busted a major LTTE procurement network

Sri Lanka's government dismissed a declaration by Tamil Tigers of a brief unilateral ceasefire from from July 26 to August 4, saying an offensive against rebel positions in the north is continuing.

The Q Branch of the Tamil Nadu police on Tuesday busted a major LTTE procurement network, seizing five imported Yamaha outboard motors with a 40-horse-power capacity each. In connection with the seizures, three persons, including a Sri Lankan from Manalmelkudi in Pudukottai, were taken into custody.

Sri Lankan jets raided a tiger camp in the northern region of Uddayarkattukulam, killing 22 Tamil Tiger suicide bombers, the Sri Lankan Defense Ministry said. The group of slain members of the LTTE were rehearsing a ``major suicide operation'' at the time of the attack, air force spokesman Janaka Nanayakkara said in a statement posted on the ministry Web site.

The Sri Lankan navy destroyed two LTTE boats and damaged two others today, the Defense Ministry said in a statement. Five LTTE speedboats were heading toward Pulmoddai from Nayaru in the northern region when soldiers fired at the boats.

At least 44 tigers were killed in battles with soldiers yesterday in the northern regions of Mannar and Vavuniya, the MCNS said. Two soldiers died and six were wounded in the clashes.

Thursday, 24 July 2008
Nine LTTE bodies handed over to ICRC
Vavunikulam Tank bund falls to Army: 25 LTTE killed

Security forces Thursday (July 24) handed over 9 bodies of LTTE, including 4 female fighters, killed during fighting with troops at the Wanni battlefront in Palaimoddai and Periyamadhu areas to the ICRC officials in Vavuniya.


A sea battle erupted when a LTTE boat cluster of 10 LTTE speedboats was detected by the naval FACs on patrol along the Mullaittivu coast at Chilawattai today (July 24) at around 6.30 p.m. According to Navy, 3 LTTE boats were destroyed. Rest of the LTTE boats beached. No damages were caused to the naval craft.

57 Division troops operating at the combined Mannar - Vavuniya front advanced at Pandiyankulama and have reportedly captured the Vavunikulam Tank bund, in Mullaittivu District today (July 24), at around 10 a.m. 57 division troops also have captured approximately 10 sq.kms of land area during the advances. Citing intercepted LTTE communication military said that, at least 25 LTTE were killed and scores injured in the clashes. Troops recovered 7 LTTE bodies, 5 x T-56 assault riffles, 01 x 120 mm heavy mortar gun, 02 x 81 mm mortar guns during initial search operation conducted in the area. The military had not suffered any casualties.

The military said fighting on Wednesday in four northern districts had also killed 25 rebels and injured 21 Tiger rebels. The military also said four solders died in the fighting and 10 were wounded.

 Post subject: 36 LTTE bodies found, over 55 killed - Mallavi
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:48 am 
Saturday, 26 July 2008
LTTE suffers heavy beating: 36 bodies found, over 55 killed - Mallavi
Eight senior LTTE cadres of the 'Charles Anthony' band killed

Troops in 57 Division and Special Forces engaged in consolidation operations in north of Vavunikulam, in combined Mannar and Vavuniya front, have found 36 bodies of the LTTE along with a large stock of arms and ammunition in the evening of July 25, 2008 a latest report received from the battle front says. Eight senior LTTE cadres of the 'Charles Anthony' band were also among the LTTE killed. This is the largest recovery of Tiger bodies by the Security Forces engaged in the Wanni liberation operation. Earlier the troops attached to the 57 Division recovered 25 bodies of the Charles Anthony Brigade after launching an attack on 5-4 Base located in Cheeraddikulam area. Six soldiers were killed and 13 others suffered injuries in this battle.[READ MORE]


Troops of the 57 Div attacked 5 LTTE bunkers located in the Oddankkulama area around 11 AM on Friday. Troops found one body of a slain LTTE cadre and 3 hand grenades . Eight soldiers were killed and 8 others suffered injuries in the fierce terror retaliation. In another confrontation reported from Kalvilan , West of Tunukkai area on Friday morning troops found four LTTE bodies along with 5 T-56 assault rifles and 2 radio sets.

On the Welioya front , troops of 59 Div had daylong clashes with LTTE in the Mullaittivu forest , in the areas North of Janakapura and Kiriibbanwewa on Friday. Reports received from both radio monitoring and ground sources indicate 8 deaths and 24 casualties to the LTTE during these operations. Also, 3 soldiers suffered injuries.

Monday, July 28, 2008
Troops kill 30 LTTE in the weekend
Security Forces seize control over 'Sugandan Base' - Welioya

Sri Lankan troops killed 30 Tamil Tigers in renewed fighting at the weekend in the districts of Jafna , Vavuniya, Polonnaruwa, Mannar and Mullaitivu, officials said on Monday. Three soldiers were killed and 10 more were injured in the fighting, which took place on Sunday in the Weli Oya and Vavuniya regions.

Troops of the 59 Division led by Brigadier Nanadana Udawatte Sunday seized the 'Sugandan' base, a satellite base of the LTTE's 'One-Four-base' complex, located North of Kiriibbanwewa inside the thick jungles of Mullaittiuvu, following days of heavy confrontations. Earlier, on 30th May 2008- troops captured the 'Munagam base' the main logistic link between the LTTE strongholds in Wanni and cadres in the east, across the Mullaittiuvu jungle, followed by the capture of 'Michael base' on 4th July.

Security forces on Sunday (July 27) handed over 19 bodies including 6 females killed during the battles in Vavunikulama, to the ICRC officials in Vavuniya. Earlier, on Saturday 11 more bodies were sent to the LTTE through the ICRC.


Friday, August 01, 2008
Scurity forces enter Kilinochchi district, first time in 9 years
LTTE women leaders killed in Welioya

Around 10:30 a.m. on Friday the 1st of August 2008, troops of the 12 Gajaba Regiment attached to 58 Division crossed the border of Mannar district and entered the Kilinochchi district from the south. Though Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol (LRRP) teams of the special forces and commandos were operating well within the borders of the Tiger stronghold, this was the first instance when a major military formation entered the Kilinochchi district, eyeing the capture of the administrative headquarters of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam. Read More

According Army, “Lieutenant Colonel Kumaveri Thangeamma” who is said to be the Mulaithivu leader of the LTTE’s women’s wing, was killed on Thursday (31 July) afternoon with three of her armed escorts, Kanhimani, Pushparani and Magolechchami in in North of Kiriibbanwewa. Another LTTE group leader ‘Madavani’ was also killed on the same day. “Lieutenant Colonel Kadiravani", LTTE’s one of the leading female caders, and “Captain Vageesan” were killed earlier on 29th of July in the same area.

According to the defence sources, fall of Vellankulam, the next town come across after Iluppaikkadavai when travelling northwards on the Mannar- Pooneryn (A-32) road is imminent. Military reported 20 LTTE deaths and 29 casualties in the Mannar - Vavuniya and Welioya battlefront. Also, two soldiers died while two suffered wounds.

According to reports, on 28 July, a team of LRRP commandos ambushed a unicorn Armoured Personnel Carrier, which was believed to be transporting a group of sea Tigers including a senior cardre. The APC, which was captured by the LTTE in a previous battle was blown up in a claymore mine explosion at the 22 mile post on Thunukkai-Vellankulam road. Intercepted communications have revealed that 13 LTTE cadres were killed in the explosion, including a leader of the sea Tigers.

Mannar-Vavuniya Front


There are three military divisions operating in the combined Mannar-Vavuniya front at the moment.

57 division, which was the first division to be inducted into the Wanni front. Launched from the original security forces lines hugging the Mannar-Vauniya road. This division has advanced over 60 km inside Tiger territory. It functions as the main thrust of the combined front.

Operating as the left flank of the 57 division is the 58 division- formerly the Task Force 1- which captured the Vidattaltivu sea Tiger base. The primary task assigned to this division was to take control of the Mannar rice bowl area, which was accomplished in early last month. Troops of this divison, continued to advance from the recently captured Iluppaikkadavai, consolidating an area of the size of 5 square kilometres. Fighting broke out as special infantry units stormed a bunker line of the LTTE in Mundampiddi on Thursday evening. During the subsequent search operations, troops found seven bodies of LTTE cadres along with 3 T 56 assault rifles and 2 hand grenades.

The Task Force 2 is the new addition to the Mannar-Vavuniya front. It operates as the right flank of the combine front and last week troops of this division continued to push further towards Palamoddai and Navvi area, moving towards the A-9 road.

Meanwhile, the LTTE military leader in the northern front, Theepan, had been assigned to lead the tigers in the Mannar-Vavuniya front. Theepan, who is credited for halting Operation Agnikeela is also the commander of LTTE’s artillery units. He is reported to have replaced Banu who led the LTTE in Mannar-Vavuniya front in the recent battles.

 Post subject: Vellankulam captured, Mallavi under siege
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:40 am 
Vellankulam captured, Mallavi under siege
Heavy casulaties for both sides

Saturday, August 2, 2008

The 58th Division of the SLA captured Vellankulam town on 2nd of August, the northernmost town and the last LTTE stronghold in the Mannar District. With the capture of Vellankulam, the whole of the Mannar District came under the control of the Security Forces after decades under the LTTE.

By capturing Vellankulam, Sri Lanka Army’s 58 Division has liberated the entire Mannar district within eight months period. Army’s 58 Division commenced their operation to Liberate Mannar district in November 2007. Sri Lanka Army’s 58 Division is commanded by Brigadier Shavindra Silva.

To liberate Mannar, 58 Division mobilized 12 Infantry Battalions, and Commando Brigade, supported by the 5th Armoured Corp regiment, 15 Artillery Regiment, 9 Signal and Engineers.

In this operation, Sri Lanka Air Force deployed their MI 24 fighter helicopters to attacked LTTE bunkers and to bring reinforcement to Army personnel, meanwhile ground troops had given perfect locations of LTTE military installation which enabled the Air Force fighter jets to bomb the exact targets and destroy.

When the troops advanced up to the 29th milepost on the Mannar-Pooneryn Road it was revealed that over 2500 LTTE cadres had been killed by the 58th Division since it started the operation in September last year of establishing full control of the entire Mannar district.

Heavy fighting erupted yesterday between the Army's 57 Division and the LTTE's Charles Anthony, Imran Pandian and Intelligence Wing cadres south of Mallavi. Fighting erupted as the LTTE made a counter-attack on regular troops of the Army.

Around 20 soldiers were killed in this attack. According to reports LTTE suffered more casulties with at least 40 dead and over 60 wounded, all from the three 'elite' units.

The tigers attacked and captured a Army jeep dispatched to bring back the injured soldiers, killing the driver and two casualties being rushed to hospital. The 3 Army bodies were captured by the tigers alter returned via ICRC.


Troops Capture Kalekuda, Kalvilan and Mulankavil
Tigers’ Second Largest Admin Centre in Kilinochchi District Falls

Friday, 15 August 2008


Troops attached to 11 Sri Lanka Infantry Battalion under the command of Lt. Colonel Senaka Wijesuriya on Monday 11th of August 2008, captured Kalekuda Jetty, about two km north of the Mannar Kilinochchi district boundary.

On Tuesday afternoon two small teams attached to the 11 Sri Lanka Light Infantry Battalion moved into Mulankavil area which was considered the second most important township in the Kilinochchi district after Kilinochchi town. The LTTE had their 'national stadium' in Mulangavil where they also had a large number of graveyards. According to ground troops, this had 500 graves where the LTTE had buried the recently killed cadres. Troops attached to the 6 Gemunu Watch battalion operating under the command of the Lt. Colonel Kamal Pinnawala captured the area East of A-32 road where the LTTE had their Mahaveer Cemetery.

In the mean time, Troops attached to 57 Division operating under the command of Major General Jagath Dias made a major breakthrough with the capture of Kalvilan village located south-west of Thunukkai town. The 572 Brigade under the command of Lt. Colonel Senerath Bandara commanded the troops attached to the 7 Sri Lanka Light Infantry Regiment under the command of Lt. Colonel Ranjith and 8 Sri Lanka Light Infantry Regiment under the command of Lt. Colonel. Epsritha Dissanayke who entered the Kalvilan village on Tuesday evening.


The LTTE made six abortive attempts to stop the troops advance in to the Kalvilan village using full strength against the troops. But later they abandoned their attempt to hold the village and fled the area. The LTTE had their main mortar and artillery positions at Kalvilan.

Troops Capture LTTE's Jeevan Base
Tigers suffer heavy beatings
Friday, 16 August 2008

Troops of Sri Lanka Army 59 division on Saturday (August 16) captured one of the largest training camps of the LTTE known as Jeevan base located in the Mullaittivu jungle. According to the defence sources, the captured terror camp had been used by the LTTE for years to train terrorists in guerrilla warfare. The camp is located 10 km northwest of Kokkuttoduvai and about 1.5 km west of the southwestern edge of the Nayaru lagoon. The camp has 100 underground bunkers, 4 buildings, 25 lavatories and two concrete bunkers. Military found 67 tombs of deceased LTTE caders at the underground bunker complex which also consisted of 4 main buildings each with an area of 1250sq.m2.

A special Police team on Sunday arrested four key LTTE suspects in Matale, Rathwatta and Elkaduwa areas, wanted in connection with 13 large scale bomb explosions that took place in the hill country including Kandy and Matale. In addition, Police arrested six LTTE suspects in Rathwatta area several days ago along with 13 Kg of high explosives, 30 detonators, 11 feet long detonator codes and cyanide capsules. Investigations have revealed that these arrested suspects are linked to 13 explosions that had taken place in Kandy and suburbs including the bomb explosions of buses in Dambulla, Digampatha and Polgolla areas. These suspects have also been involved in the bomb explosion that occurred in a train at Katugastota and launch bomb attacks to transformers installed in Panwila and Alawathugoda areas.

 Post subject: Thunukkai and Uilankulam captured
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:20 pm 
Friday, August 22, 2008
Thunukkai and Uilankulam captured


The much talked LTTE stronghold, Tunukkai, located about 20 km west of Mankulam, was brought under government troops as dawn fell on 22nd of August 2008. Thunukkai town is situated on the halfway of the Vellankulama and Mankulama road and has been a strategic nerve centre for LTTE for last 25 years. According to reports, Five soldiers were also killed during the two days of confrontations in Thunukkai.

"At present, troops are deployed at Akkarayankulam, 12 kilometres south of the Kilinochchi town," Military said.
Read More

Monday, September 01, 2008
Strategic town of Mallavi captured

Soldiers of the 7 Sinha Regiment under the command of Lt. Colonel Kithsiri Liyanage, today captured the strategic town of Mallavi killing around 25 Tigers in the process. Fierce fighting broke-out in the area yesterday as tigers made a last ditch effort to hold on. The Town of Mallavi was the most populated town south of Kilinochchi in the uncleared area. Mallavi is a strategically important LTTE garrison located along the Vellankulama - Mankulama main road, linking the Mannar- Pooneryn (A-32) main road and the Kandy- Jaffna(A-9) trunk road. Due its significant positioning this area has been used as the hub of LTTE's administration and logistic activities, accommodating over dozens LTTE offices, defence observes state. Read More


Wednesday, September 03, 2008
Army breaks through the 25 KM long massive earth bund running from Nachchukudah to Akkarayankulam
41 bodies exchanged via ICRC

Security Forces handed over 20 bodies of LTTE cadres killed in recent battles in Wanni front to the ICRC officials last afternoon, 2 September. Twelve bodies from Padaviya in Welioya front, 5 from Pallaimoddai in Vavuniya front, 2 more bodies from Trincomalee and another from Mallavi in Mullaittivu were found from the search operations conducted following the confrontations took place in these areas recently, defence sources said. Red Cross spokeswoman Aleksandra Matijevic said bodies of 19 government soldiers and two tigers were transferred Wednesday, while 20 bodies were handed to the guerrillas Tuesday.

On Tuesday, soldiers captured two defense lines in LTTE villages Akkarayankulam and Terrankandal in Kilinochchi district and later beat back Tigers attempts to regain the lines the same evening, the military said.

Battles raged in the Nachchikuda area. Government forces pounded tigers with airstrikes, helicopter attacks and ground assaults as heavy fighting across northern Sri Lanka killed 47 Tamil Tigers and left 13 soldiers dead or missing, the military said Wednesday. TamilNet claimed the Tigers had killed as many as 75 government soldiers in the recent fighting.

Fighting across Kilinochchi on Tuesday killed 22 LTTE and five soldiers. A further seven soldiers were missing, Army said. A photograph posted on TamilNet showed what appeared to be the bodies of seven dead soldiers laid out on a blanket on the floor. Another 25 Tigers and one soldier were killed in fighting in the Vavuniya and Welioya regions, on Tuesday.

SLAF jets bombed two LTTE boats off the northeast coast in Mullaitivu, destroying one and causing heavy damage to the other, air force spokesman said.

Friday, September 05, 2008
Fierce fighting as LTTE begins ‘do or die’ battle
Army receives 11 more bodies of soldiers


After months of heavy fighting in the northern region, both the Sri Lanka Army and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) last Tuesday engaged in one of the fiercest battles which continued throughout the day inflicting heavy damage to both parties. This battle marked a new chapter in the fourth Eelam war as both parties used their maximum fire power.

Ground sources confirmed that the 4 Sinha Regiment (SR) led by Lt. Col. S. Welikala and 11 Ceylon Light Infantry (CLI) led by Lt. Col. Senaka Wijesuriya and 6 Gemunu Watch (GW) led by Lt. Col Kamal Pinnawala of the 58 division who were operating in Akkarayankulam and Vennarikulam in the Kilinochchi district, came under several waves of attack formations launched by the LTTE.

The fighting began when the 11 CLI and 6 GW broke the massive recently built 20 kilometre-long defence line from Nachchikuda to Akkarayankulam. The defence line is considered to be one of the strongest trench lines that the LTTE had built in the western flank of the A-9 road.

Following fierce fighting on Tuesday morning, the 4 SR too broke through the defence line from Akkarayankulam. However, due to heavy resistance from the LTTE, 11 CLI and 6 GW tactically withdrew from some of the captured defence lines by noon. The LTTE used the opportunity to focus pressure on the 4 SR troops in Akkarayankulam, sending at least four continuous attacks towards the troops. Fierce fighting continued throughout the day.

Units of 11 Ceylon Light Infantry attacked the Tiger defence lines near Nachchikudah coast, capturing 500 meters of the line. Fierce fighting raged as the Tigers called for reinforcement from Pooneryn. Both sides are said to have suffered heavy casualties.

Troops of 4 Sinha Regiment, attacked the Tiger defence lines with light anti-tank weapons and high explosive RPGs. They delivered a swift attack, dislodged the defending Tiger cadres, capturing 600 meters of the defence line. The Charlie team led by Lieutenants Mangala Rajada and Saminda Thiranagama and the Delta Team led by Captain Malinga Jayasuriya broke into enemy defence lines from two directions, capturing a portion of the defence line. By the noon, the Tigers delivered a fierce counter attack on the troops holding the new positions.

The LTTE attacked the troops holding positions from 3 directions, attacking in the form of waves. Close quarter battles raged. Some units of the 4 SR were cut off from the rest. They were encircled and pinned down by the Tigers, according to some military sources. Lt Saminda Thiranagama was killed in the fighting and Captain Jayasuriya was caught in a booby trap. The young lieutenant Thiranagama who commanded the Charlie team on a raid on the Tiger defence line was wounded in action last month. But he reported to duty in a week to take part one of the most risky mission. Scores of soldiers went missing. Later, the LTTE handed over the remains of 30 soldiers through the ICRC.

Many stories of the valour of the soldiers in the last week’s bitter battles are making rounds in military circles. Several small groups of soldiers, holding the newly captured positions, could not link up with the other units in the face of the fierce counter attack by the Tigers. They fought till the last bullet.

According to military sources, nearly 50 soldiers were killed in the fighting and 120 wounded. Four Singha Regiment took the brunt of the Tiger attack. Twenty of its soldiers were killed. 68 were wounded in action, many of them are walking wounded-Only 12 classified as P1, critical serious injuries. Eleven soldiers from Ten CLI are also among the dead.

The pro-LTTE Tamilnet website said that at least 75 soldiers were killed and a large number injured in the battle on Tuesday.

In addition to the 19 already received, Eleven more corpses were delivered to the Army by International Committee of Red Cross (ICRC) officials on the evening of 4th September.

Monitored LTTE transmissions have confirmed a total of twenty-two Tigers, including one LTTE intelligence leader, ‘Lieutenant Colonel’ Neelvan have perished in the Vannarikulam clashes on Tuesday (3).
Over seventy-four LTTE have suffered serious injuries as a result of those clashes.

Around 9.10 p.m. on 5th of September, Security forces ambushed an LTTE movement killing 6 tigers in Thalikulam in Vavuniya. Troops found 6 bodies along with 4 T-56 weapons and 2 bicycles, defence sources added.

 Post subject: Offensive continues despite the heavy resistance
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:04 am 
Sunday, 7 September 2008
Offensive continues despite the heavy resistance by the LTTE


All top level LTTE military cadres like Theepan, Bhanu and Lakshman are on their communication sets continuously pushing their cadres to thwart the advancing troops. There had been several LTTE counter-attacks aiming at re-capturing the areas held by the troops. In Nachchikuda the battle continued for more than 12 hours till 3.30 a.m. on Tuesday. With the number of casualties increasing troops were withdrawn to their original positions. Ten soldiers went missing in the Nachchikuda front and over 30 soldiers sustained injuries while three others get killed in the confrontations.

Biggest damages were reported from the troops operating in Akkarayan as two officers and 19 soldiers went missing from the 4 Sinha Regiment battalion. Thirteen others were also reportedly killed at this front with another 60 odd soldiers sustaining injuries due to large number of counter attacks directed by the LTTE.

The LTTE also had suffered heavily with over 40 of their cadres reportedly killed in the Nachchikuda front alone and dozens of cadres in the Akkarayankulam front whilst hundreds sustaining injuries. However, this time they had the advantage of recovering 32 odd bodies after these confrontations as a proof of their victory.

Even after this massive battle, the LTTE continuously launched counter attacks on the Security Forces holding some tactically important locations of their massive earth bund from various locations in the West and East of Vannerikulam.

Army Commander Lt. General Sarath Fonseka soon after the temporary losses by the troops in Akkarayan and Nachchikuda has reportedly emphasized after summoning all the Division Commanders in Wanni, Director of Military Intelligence and Special Forces Brigade Commander that there is no hurry on the part of the Security Forces to capture either Kilinochchi or Pooneryn. Military intention is to cause maximum killings on the LTTE without giving priority to capture land areas with minimum casualties.

Today Sri Lankan Air Force fighter jets carried out missions targeting LTTE facilities in Kilinochchi, Mullaitivu and Pooneryn. The air strike was made in support of advancing 58 Division troops, operating in the western Wanni battlefront. SLAF MI-24 helicopter gunships launched an air strike at a pre-identified Sea Tiger camp at Kavitharamunai, in Pooneryn. The Air Force said the Sea Tiger facility code-named ‘Kadal’ , was severely damaged.

Meanwhile, 17 LTTE were killed and five others wounded during fighting between troops and the LTTE in Kilinochchi and Mullaitivu districts on Saturday. Two soldiers have died in the confrontation and 13 others injured. In Navathkulama and Marathamadu, five tigers were killed in Army attacks. Troops of Task Force -2 operating in Palamoddai and Navvi general areas have reported killing at least six LTTE and injuring two others. Two soldiers died in the confrontation. Two more LTTE were killed during confrontations with troops at Navvi. Troops of the 59 Division took on LTTE positions north of Kiriibbanwewa, killing six and injuring three others. A soldier sustained injuries in an AP mine explosion in the same area.

Tuesday, 9 September 2008
LTTE Black Tiger attack Vavuniya Air Force Base
Tiger plane shot down, 11 Black tigers killed
Black Day for Black Tigers


A major attack launched by LTTE at the security forces headquarters Wanni and Air Force Base Vavuniya early this morning was foiled by the Sri Lanka Special Forces. Meanwhile, SLAF fighter jets intercepted two LTTE light aircraft fleeing after failed mission at Vavuniya Air force base and shot down one of the aircraft in the Mullaittivu sky. 11 bodies of slain LTTE black tiger cadres were found. If not for the efforts of the Special Forces personnel at the Wanni Security Forces Headquarters, there could have been far more deaths and damages in this attack. Read More On This Attack

Friday, 12 September 2008
The 100th Arrow Boat of SL Navy launched
An LTTE area leader killed Kilali


The 100th Arrow Boat indigenously made by the Sri Lanka Navy to suit battle conditions in Sri Lanka for the use of the Special Boat Squadron and Rapid Action Boat Squadron of the Navy which had contributed immensely to curb the Sea Tiger capabilities in the Eastern and Western seas was launched. The Navy has so far built 100 special boats for the RABS within a short period, at very low cost, at the Welisara Inshore Patrol Vessel Construction Yard. Started in 2006, under the ‘Arrow’ concept, the new RABS unit, which is functioning as a separate squadron, has been able to cause heavy damage to the Sea Tigers.

An LTTE area leader named ‘Kaliaradan’ was killed with three other LTTE cadres when the military launched an attack on a secret stronghold used by hardcore LTTE leaders along the Kilaly Forward Defence Line (FDL) yesterday. “LTTE transmissions later confirmed that the area leader had died in the attack directed by valiant troops serving in the area,” the military said.

Defence Ministry said that civilians in Thahanattakanda in Bintenna had found seven male bodies with gunshot and cut injuries. The bodies of seven farmers were found in a jungle in Kotiyagala in Siyambalagamuwa, Moneragala, yesterday, police said. The ministry blamed the LTTE for the killings. The police found four bodies lying on a tractor trailer with wounds caused by bullets fired from a T-56 riffle and another three bodies with pistol wounds.

Tuesday, 16 September 2008
LTTE explodes bus bomb targeting civilians in Colombo
Troops advance in Akkarayankulam


A major disaster was averted by a conductor and a driver of a CTB bus plying from Mattakkuliya to Moratuwa. They evicted around 60 passengers from the bus after taking it to a safer place close to Horton Place roundabout minutes before a parcel bomb exploded inside. Four people sustained minor injuries as the bomb exploded after the bus was taken to a place opposite the Viharamahadevi Park with Police taking prompt action to stop traffic along the road. “The bomb exploded at 1.50 p.m. a few minutes after the last passenger was evacuated from the bus (NA-3656) and the Police were waiting for the bomb disposal unit,” driver Thilakasiri said.

The blast came a day after Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa ruled out negotiations with the rebels, saying the military would soon destroy the rebel group and end the country's long-running civil war. Rajapaksa said the time for talks was over, and the only option left for the rebels was to put down their arms and surrender. "We can crush them, there is no question that we can't," he said.


[size=14]In Akkarayankulam village in the tiger stronghold of Kilinochchi district, soldiers advanced about 4 miles (6 kilometers) into the LTTE territory after battles killed 18 tigers and three soldiers, according to the military spokesman. Fighting in three other areas killed 17 tigers. However, the LTTE-affiliated TamilNet reported that 22 soldiers were killed, saying rebels put up "stiff resistance" and thwarted the army advance in Akkarayankulam. With these advances from the east of Akkarayankulam troops are now closing in to Kilinochchi. They are now operating just five and a half Kilometres south of Kilinochchi town.

With the fighting escalating, the government announced last week that it was banning all aid groups from LTTE-held areas. United Nations aid agencies pulled out their staff Tuesday. [/size]

Friday, 19 September 2008
Troops capture stretch of bund in Karambakulam
Tamil Tigers under attack in Land, Air and Sea
LTTE boats beaten off Nachchikudha; 10 boats destroyed, 25 tigers killed


Following a fierce battle with the LTTE, troops attached to the 58 Division Wednesday captured a 1.5 Km stretch of the huge earth bund in Karambakulam, eight Kilometres North East of Nachchikuda, Military Spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara told. The huge earth bund which is 12 to 14 feet in height, a ditch 6 feet deep and 12 to 14 feet width that has been constructed from Nachchikuda to Akkarayan by the LTTE posed a huge obstacle for the troops in their advance towards the North. Fierce fighting erupted in this terrain when troops attempted to capture this earth bund during the past few weeks.

"Troops attached to the 58 Division captured 15 to 20 Tiger bunkers along this stretch of the earth bund amidst heavy resistance from the LTTE," Brigadier Nanayakkara said. Twenty five Tiger cadres were killed and nearly 25 others injured during the fierce battle that erupted in the early hours of yesterday. "Four soldiers were also killed and 14 others injured during these confrontations," the spokesman added.

Navy vessels destroyed 10 boats and killed 25 members of the LTTE's Sea Tigers unit in a three-hour battle off Nachchikudha on the northwestern coast yesterday, the Defense Ministry said. According to naval sources, the pitched battle lasted over 3 hours which erupted 5 nautical miles West of Nachchikudha, forcing LTTE to retreat with heavy damages.

In the mean time, according to military reports, at least 48 LTTE were killed in army ground offensives within 20 kilometers (12 miles) of the LTTE headquarters at Kilinochchi. Fighting continued in the Wanni battlefront, Kilinochchi and Mullaittivu and Vavuniya Districts, as troops confirmed killing 48 tigers, wounding 34 others in yesterday's clashes (17 September).
Read More On This Attack


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Politics & Ethnic Conflict » Military Operations & Heroes of our time

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: